Skip to content
March 7, 2011 / flogginwater

Barview, and beyond!

First post in the fishin’ blog!

While it wasn’t my first fishing trip of the year – my recent trip to Barview was the first of the year that saw fish caught. I went with Phyllis and Tyler. The day didn’t get off to a great start – we got there late, at noon. High slack was fading quickly into a powerful ebb tide. We fished off the jetty at Barview, and with an ounce of lead, it was still like drift fishing a coastal river without any weight. That is to say – we lost a lot of gear to the rocks.

It’s been a while since I jetty fished. Loosing gear is part of the game, but damn, when lead is as expensive as it is, it hurts the pride and the pocket book. After a few frustrating hours – which included a thorough douching by a Coast Guard Helo (which I admit was cool to watch him hover, but he was soooo close that the salt spray from his rotor wash HURT, and damn near knocked both Ty and myself off our feet!)

We left the jetty and hit up a fishing pier in Garibaldi – then on to Cape Mears Lake in a futile attempt to catch some trout, or bass. Original plan for the day was to call it quits at 3 or so, to give Ty time to make it to MMA class. He decided he’d rather continue fishing, so we went back to Barview, stopping for a burger (bad for me) along the way. We made it back to the jetty in time for low slack tide, and it was a world of difference. No problems with the current snagging us up. And the fish were biting better.

I had issues with bait thieves – which I’ve come to assume were greenling. Using 1/0 Mustad octopus hooks and plane jane frozen shrimp from the grocery store – we fed a lot of shrimp to the fish. Every cast got bit – and almost every cast wound up with a bare hook coming in with no fish. Then Ty got a sea bass. It was kinda small, but damn it it was a fish – and we kept it. Then he got another. Then he got a greenling, which was too small to legally keep. All through this I kept getting bit, but couldn’t get a solid hookup. Then Phyllis hooked up with something BIG. She fought it well, but just when it was getting close enough that we should’ve been able to see it – it dove HARD and under the rocks. Hung her up and broke off. We’re figuring Cabezon, or big sea bass. Finally, when it was almost too dark to see (and in hind sight, WAY too dark to safely be on the jetty without a light) – I got a fish. AT first I thought it was a snag, until it began moving sideways. Turned out to be the biggest fish of the trip!

So we returned home triumphant, with a stringer of 3 sea bass, which we filleted and ate that night. And they were good. And the skunk is off 🙂

Ty has reported that during the last two days – which he spent fishing Henry Hagg Lake here in Washington County – he caught two fish each day – stocker rainbow trout – mostly the typical hotdog trout, though he did report one fish was a good 12 inches, and wild – as it had an adipose fin. That means it was the product of successfully spawned stockers, or at least a hold over that missed the adipose removal at the hatchery. Either way – nice fish, and probably a lot pinker meated than the crappy average 8″ stockers they dump in there by the truck load.

Don’t get me wrong, I love trout fishing – and I’ll gladly catch 8″ trout all day – especially wild 8″ trout from my much loved and favored small streams. But 8″ planter trout are about the most pathetic creatures you’ll ever find in a lake. They’re dull, their meat is the wrong color for a salmonid, they’re pretty weak fighters until they’ve adapated from the concrete tank to their new home. And they’ll hit anything that remotely looks like a Purina Trout Chow pellet. For my palette, they’re unfit for the table. They need to spend at least a year in a nice cold, deep body of water, eating lots of natural protein, getting firm and fat, and turning their flesh from white to red. Then they’re worth eating. Otherwise, I’d rather have a Jennie-O Turkey Frank – as they’re a lot more tasty, and have similar nutritional value.

I’ve got to get back on the water as son as possible.

I’ve got two new rods to try out – well, one rod and one pole. The rod is an 8’6″ Okuma Celilo ultra light spin rod, the pole is a 12′ Shakespeare Durango telescoping panfish pole.

I really can’t wait till the end of May – when the rivers and creeks open up to fishing. Still waters just don’t hold as much fun for me as fishing moving water, with a few exceptions.

%d bloggers like this: